Friday, February 4, 2011

Guest Feature: Brianna's Awkward Life

This next post is by my friend Brianna who in the 1st week of knowing her, she destroyed her ACL and was on crutches and a limpy for a few months. But she's pretty cool. And here is her story.


--------------------------------------------------------------

I love pie. It's my favorite dessert. I also have a funny story about it, which might not be funny unless you're either me or one other person who's in on the joke. I'm hesitant to share, because the story almost makes this one kid the butt of the joke, but I don't intend to make fun of him. When I laugh about this story, I'm laughing about the situation, not the boy. I shall call him Wayne.

Pie. In my family, my dad always makes them. Because I have an oven at school for the first time, I decided I was going to try it. However, the recipe I used .... okay, when you get a recipe from online, make sure it makes sense! I thought 15 minutes wasn't long enough to cook a pie for, but that's what it said in the recipe! I even turned off the oven after 15 minutes but let the pie sit in the hot oven until I needed to take it to Bible study. This also happened to be the only night of the semester that I couldn't stay at Bible study the whole time: I had to go to a lecture that I had to write a paper on.

While I was at the lecture, I got a text saying that the pie is undercooked. Because there was nothing I could do about it, and I didn't feel like apologizing, I didn't answer the text. I figured it was inedibly undercooked, but when I got to Bible study, several of the boys were chowing down - one in particular. Wayne. This boy had never been to our study before, but he was eating the pie straight from the pie plate at one point. He kept going back for more and more! And thus, the hilarity began. 

Later, I had attended an event with him that our student group had worked to put together. Afterwards, a group of us hit up Dunkin for some donuts. While there, somehow PIE got brought up. And I, being a stupid, stupid person and thinking it would be funny to him too, explained to him that my friend and I thought that the way he ate the pie at our Bible study was pretty funny. "But I'm glad somebody did - I did a bad job on it, and was afraid no one would eat it." That's how I tried to save myself from awkwardness. I don't think it worked.

Out of embarrassment, I took my donut home rather than eat it in the DD, and was walking up to the Towers, expecting the whole time that he would ride past me on his bike. When I got to the end of the pedestrian bridge to Laird, I decided that he wasn't going to pass me, and because I was really hungry -and no one was around - I opted to pull my donut out and have a bite. Then…
POKE!!!

Out of nowhere, scaring the crap out of me, I am poked on the arm by none other than Wayne. On his bike. He seemed to think that poking a girl unexpectedly at ten at night when she's walking by herself is an okay thing to do. I disagree. It's not okay. I was still embarrassed that I had told him about the pie, I had thought that no one was around, I had food in my mouth - all in all, I was shook up. When I got home, all I could say was "I told Wayne about the pie."

I saw him in the dining hall later, eating pie. I didn't even see him at first, but he was like "Brianna!" so I was like "Oh hey, Wayne!" and I asked him whether it was sweet potato pie or pumpkin pie (Because I was thinking about getting some. Come on. I like pie.) He looked up at me from his table with a sort of confused look and said "I... don't know." I was laughing and giggling to myself for about an hour after that, at least, and then again when I told my friend about it.

Lastly, I happened to see him studying in the lounge the other day, and I was in the stairwell with my friend who knows all about the pie. There was a sign in the stairwell. It said “PIE.” We couldn't contain ourselves, and simply ran out of the building laughing about Wayne and pie.
Wayne will now forevermore be associated to pie by me.

1 comment: